POST TIME: 13 February, 2018 12:37:41 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 13 February, 2018 11:40:17 AM
$ 434m Rohingya response plan ends this month

$ 434m Rohingya response plan ends this month

This undated handout aerial photograph received yesterday allegedly shows bulldozed villages in Myanmar's northern Rakhine State. Aerial photos of Rohingya villages in Myanmar have emerged showing apparently bulldozed land with no recognisable signs of habitation, as activists say there are growing fears that the Muslim minority will lose not only their homes but their history. AFP photo

Almost one third of the required $ 434 million to implement the response plan to look after hundreds of thousands of Rohingyas, who took shelter in Bangladesh to escape from the atrocities orchestrated by the Myanmar security forces, local Buddhist mobs and people from other ethnic groups in Rakhine, is yet to be funded affecting essential services for the persecuted people. So far $296.1 million, which is 68.2 per cent of required $ 434.1 million till February 28, has been funded while the remaining 31.8 percent amounting $ 138 million is still unmet, according to the financial tracking system (FTS) managed by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).   


According to multiple sources in the government, international organisations and international NGOs working in the Rohingya settlements in Cox’s Bazar, the shortage of fund is affecting very essential services for the persecuted people and urgent funding is necessary in important aspects like food, shelter and health.

Meanwhile, a top official of the UN system in Bangladesh told The Independent that a revised response plan covering till the end of December, 2018 involving much more amount than the current one will be declared soon.

Refusing to elaborate the exact revised figure, the UN diplomat said, “It would not be double than $ 434.1 million. But, it will also not be much less than the double.”

Referring to the pledging conference held in Geneva on October 23, 2017 which could manage to receive promises of $ 344 million, another UN official said that it would be ‘difficult’ to have another conference.

“You will have to remember that the Rohingya crisis is competing with many other conflicts across the globe,” he said.

However, he expressed optimism that the international community will not allow any situation where the lives of Rohingyas would be compromised due to funding.

Contrary to the agreement for repatriation signed between Bangladesh and Myanmar in Naypyitaw on November 23, Rohingyas keep crossing into Cox’s Bazar from Rakhine.

“From 1-9 February, there have been 801 new arrivals originating from Buthidaung township, in the Maungdaw District of Rakhine State. Most mentioned family safety and security concerns as their main reason for fleeing from Myanmar,” according to the situation report released by Inter-Sector Coordination Group (ISCG) yesterday.

“The speed and scale of the influx led to a massive humanitarian emergency. Humanitarian partners continue to build and upgrade necessary infrastructure under challenging conditions with extremely limited space,” it said.

“This already precarious position is compounded by the approaching monsoon season. Rohingya families and individuals reside in extremely congested shelters-in areas that are highly vulnerable to flooding, landslides and other weather-related hazards. Urgent action is needed to mitigate the grave risks they face and increase response capacity,” said the report covering the period from January 26 to February 8.

There are significant gaps and constraints with regards to food security, health, logistics, nutrition, protection, shelter, site management, water, sanitation and hygiene, education and emergency telecommunications. Additional funding, especially in the food security sector, is necessary to cope with already vulnerable situation, said the sources.