POST TIME: 11 April, 2019 12:23:57 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 11 April, 2019 12:08:11 PM
Nusrat loses battle for life
Nusrat’s condition unchanged

Nusrat loses battle for life

Within five days of arson attack on her, madrasa girl Nusrat Jahan Rafi lost her battle for life at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) in the capital yesterday. Nusrat, who was set afire in Songazi upazila of Feni, died at the Burn and Plastic Surgery unit of DMCH at around 9:30pm, said Prof Rayhana Awwal Sumi. The body was kept at the hospital mortuary and it will be handed over to the family following autopsy.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina expressed deep shock at the demise of the madrasa girl. In a condolence message, she prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed her sympathy to the bereaved family members.

Earlier, the officer-in-charge (OC) of Sonagazi Model Police Station in Feni, Md Moyazzem Hosen, has been withdrawn in connection with the murder attempt on a madrasa student on Saturday, said Md Sohel Rana, assistant inspector-general (AIG) of police headquarters.

The case has now been handed over to the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI), the AIG added. Earlier, the family of the victim had complained against the OC and said the police did not do its job and tried to divert the case to a different direction.

Sources in the police headquarters said that keeping in mind the gravity of the matter, senior officials of the police decided to withdraw the OC.

Meanwhile, Dr Samanta Lal Sen, Chief National Coordinator of Plastic Surgery and All Burn Projects, Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), said the condition of the victim was stable. He said this at a press briefing yesterday at the burn unit's conference room. Dr Sen said, “DMCH’s Burn and Plastic Surgery Unit spoke to Singapore General Hospital this morning but her condition won't allow shifting her to Singapore yet."

The girl is now on life support. Seventy-five percent of her body has been burnt, said the doctors. On Tuesday, a surgery was performed to enable her lungs.

State minister for health and family welfare, Dr Murad Hassan, visited the girl. During the visit he said that the girl's condition won't allow her to be shifted abroad on air ambulance. She will not able to withstand the travel disturbance, he said.

The moment her condition improves, she will be taken to Singapore, the minister added.

“Our specialist team is working and communicating with the doctors of Singapore and the Prime Minister is also directly observing the matter,” said the state minister in a press briefing.

Meanwhile, a court in Feni placed three people, accused of setting the student on fire, on remand. Among the three, Maulana Siraj Ud Doula, principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa and also the main suspect in the case, was placed on a seven-day remand, whereas the others—Afsar Uddin, lecturer of English department of the madrasa, and Alim examinee Ariful Islam—were placed on five-day remand each.

So far, six people have been arrested in connection with the incident, after the victim's brother, Mahmudul Hasan, filed a case with Sonagazi police on Monday. The same court, on Tuesday, placed three others—Nur Hossain, Kefayetullah and Shahidul Islam—on a five-day remand.

Feni Senior Judicial Magistrate Saraf Uddin Ahmed passed the order after Kamal Hossain, a sub-inspector of Sonagazi Police Station and also investigation officer of the case, produced the three accused before the court with a remand prayer.

Earlier, on Monday, the madrasa student gave “Dying declaration” in the presence of two witnesses and a doctor.

According to her statement, on Saturday, four people, dressed in veil, had set her on fire. One of the four was named as Shampa. However, police arrested a woman named Umma Sultana Popi over the case of attempted murder. She was arrested from Sonagazi’s Mangankandi area on Tuesday. She is the niece of principal Siraj-ud-Daula.

It was known from the victim's statement that for some years the madrasa principal had been harassing the female students. He used to tempt everyone in the name of giving question papers before examination.

If anyone did not agree to his words, he used to harass them. On March 27, the principal abused the victim. When she shared the matter with her family, they filed case against the principal. The matter was also known to the other students, the victim added in her statement.

The victim said that on Saturday when she entered the examination centre, four persons asked her to go to the roof. She said the four of them were wearing veiled dresses. One of them first tried to put pressure on her to withdraw the case. When she refused, they tied her hands with a scarf. Later they doused her with something and asked her to run. When she started to run, the victim realised she had been set afire.