POST TIME: 20 January, 2020 11:25:09 PM
Seychelles secure last four berth
Two African teams engage in a brawl after the final whistle

Seychelles secure last four berth

Mauritius defender Lewis Fredrick (No 22) tries to restrict Seychelles midfielder Brendon Labrosse (No 16) entering the danger area during their Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football Tournament match yesterday at Bangabandhu National Stadium in the capital. BFF Photo

Seychelles secured a stunning semifinal berth in the Bangabandhu Gold Cup Football Tournament on the basis of goal difference leaving behind their neighbouring Mauritius when the match was ended on 2-2 draw yesterday at the Bangabandhu National Stadium.   

The Seychelles led the first half with Mathiot and Perry Moniae scored a piece before the half an hour mark of the game and Mauritius leveled the margin scoring two goals in the second half with Alex Jason Ferre and Jean Francois netting one goal each.   

Seychelles and Mauritius were in must win position to qualify in the semifinal when both of them began their campaign with bitter experience after suffering defeats to Burundi by 3-1 and 4-1 respectively.

As the match was ended on a 2-2 draw yesterday, Seychelles through in the last four by virtue of goal difference and will take on Palestine in the first semifinal tomorrow and Bangladesh will take on Burundi on January 23 in the second semifinal.

In the all African battle was fought almost evenly, though Seychelles led first half by 2-0 but Mauritius had better possession and had some solace finishing the match with 2-2.

Mauritius, who are above in FIFA ranking with 172 than the Seychelles (200), were the day’s favourites and also played with better control throughout 90 minutes game building up the game from the defense but despite creating some scoring occasions failed to beat the opponents defense in the first half.

On the other hands Seychelles played with tricky counter attack techniques and quick overlapping into the opponents’ area opened space and succeeded twice to find the net.

Gervais Waye-Hive broke the deadlock on 19th minute for Seychelles when he converted a close range effort taking the advantage of defense-splitting to clear a cutback from Brandon Labrosse, Mauritius goalkeeper almost blocked the attempt but it slipped away into the net (1-0).

Seychelles doubled the lead just a minute of half an hour mark of the match and this time it was a composed finish after controlling Brandon’s cross at the top of the box


Mauritius trailing by 0-2 turned into more hostile to win the match and finally equalised the margin scoring two goals with reducing the margin on 67th minute with substitute Alex Jason Ferre found the net with beautiful header on a captain Balisson corner (1-2).

Mauritius inspired after reducing margin came to extend their pressure and went very closer to level the arrear but some of their strong charge were denied by the defenders and the custodian was also very sharp to hold.

Mauritius finally justify their superiority scoring another goal in the injury time finding 10-men Seychelles when their Mathiot got marching order as referee Sudish Kumar Pandey of Nepal showed him second yellow for pulling jersey from behind of Mauritius forward Francois on 82nd minute.

In the injury time Mauritius levelled the margin in the injury time Francois scored from goal-mouth melee (2-2).

It was surprised to observe that the two African teams locked in a brawl for a few minutes after the long whistle with the reasons best known to them. Later, both teams claimed that they already compromised the issue.