Friday 16 November 2018 ,
Latest News
  • BNP seeks EC’s intervention in stopping arrest of its activists
  • Bus fire kills 40 in Zimbabwe
  • 11 killed as Cyclone Gaja ravages India's Tamil Nadu
  • BNP to start interviewing nomination seekers Sunday
  • Action to be taken for violation of electoral code of conduct: Monirul
  • Deployment of army ‘10 days’ ahead of polls
  • Myanmar blames Bangladesh for repatriation failure
  • Rohingya repatriation: US for ‘go-and-see’ visits
  • Child killed, 6 burnt in Jatrabari gas cylinder blast
  • Oikyafront, BNP-led alliance yet to decide on seat sharing
  • Zuckerberg should 'step down' from Facebook, tech pioneer says
9 November, 2018 12:54:19 AM / LAST MODIFIED: 9 November, 2018 11:28:26 AM

Print

Death toll climbs to 8

Deceased are members of a same family
Staff Reporter, Dhaka
Death toll climbs to 8

Five people, who suffered severe burns in a fire, apparently caused by malfunctioning of an electric rice-cooker at a house in the Aramnagar area of Joypurhat district on Wednesday night, died early yesterday (Thursday). This raises the death toll to eight.

The deceased were identified as Abdul Momin (37), Dulal Hossain (71), father of Abdul Momin, Momena Begum (65), mother of Momin, Hashi and Khushi (12), twin daughters of Momin, Brishty (14), another daughter of Momin, and Pari (34), wife of Momin, and Nur (6), son of Momin.

The fire broke out at 9pm on Wednesday in the city's Aramnagar area, near the Joypurhat Shaheed Zia Degree College, according to the Fire Station of Joypurhat. Sirajul Islam, inspector of Fire Service and Civil Defence in Joypurhat, told The independent: "We're yet to ascertain the cause of the fire.

It's being assumed at this stage that it was caused by a short-circuit." It is known that Momena Begum was cooking rice in a rice-cooker in her kitchen when suddenly a fire broke out. Asked whether the origin of the fire was from the rice-cooker or electric short-circuit, the inspector said they are not sure. "There was nothing to examine because the fire destroyed everything. But we found that the rice-cocker was plugged in," he added.

A three-member committee has been formed with Sirajul Islam, Md Nizam Uddin, deputy director of Fire Service, Bogura, and Md Mahabub-ur Zaman, warehouse director, to investigate the fire. The report has to be submitted on November 15, said the inspector. Earlier, three members of the family—Abdul Momin, Momena Begum, Brishty—were burnt to death, while five others had sustained severe burns. On being informed, firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the blaze.

Dulal, Parina Begum, Hasi and Khushi, and Abdur Noor were taken to the Joypurhat Modern District Hospital, where doctors referred them to the burns unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). All of them died on the way to the DMCH around 5:30am, said Sirajul Islam, officer-in-charge of Sadar police station.

IK

 

 

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
Snubbing the Oikyafront’s call, the EC yesterday said it will not defer the voting date further from the revised date. Do you support the stand?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 35.0%
No 60.0%
No Comment 5.0%
Video
More Bangladesh Stories

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting