Friday 15 November 2019 ,
Latest News
PM vows to build poverty-free Bangladesh | ‘BUET negligence’ led to Abrar death | Abrar murder: Charge sheet submitted against 25 | Govt to ensure 100pc electricity coverage within ‘Mujib Year’: PM | Onion record pricey | Sundarbans, the physical buffer that needs care | Regional leaders should act to resolve Rohingya crisis | ACC starts probing ex-VC for ‘graft’ |
17 June, 2019 12:26:52 AM

Print

Iran hints US could be behind ‘suspicious’ tanker attacks

Saudi crown prince lashes out at arch-rival Iran over the attacks
AFP, Tehran
Iran hints US could be behind ‘suspicious’ tanker attacks

Iran’s parliament speaker hinted yesterday that Washington could be behind the “suspicious” tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman to pile pressure on Tehran, official news agency IRNA reported.

While Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman accused arch-rival Iran of attacks, adding he “won’t hesitate” to tackle any threats to the kingdom, according to an interview published yesterday.

“The suspicious actions against the tankers... seem to complement the economic sanctions against Iran considering that (the US) has not achieved any results from them,” Iranian speaker Ali Larijani told MPs.

He backed his claim by saying there had been a precedent “during World War II, when Americans targeted their own ships near Japan to create an excuse for hostility”.

Two tankers were struck by explosions on Thursday in the Gulf of Oman, the second attack in a month in the strategic shipping lane amid a tense US-Iran standoff, sparking fears of a regional conflagration and sending oil prices soaring.

A non-belligerent state at the beginning of World War II, the US went to war after Japan’s surprise attack on the American Pearl Harbor base in Hawaii on the morning of December 7, 1941.

A Japanese-owned tanker, the Kokuka Courageous, and a Norwegian-operated one, the Front Altair, were attacked on Thursday and left ablaze as they were passing through the Gulf of Oman

Washington accused Tehran of being behind the attacks, that took place at the same time that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was in Tehran for talks aimed at defusing tensions between Iran and the United States.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed the US claim as “baseless” and said Washington had “immediately jumped to make allegations against Iran -- (without) a shred of factual or circumstantial evidence”.

Iran has been locked in a bitter standoff with the United States since Trump withdrew from a landmark 2015 nuclear deal in May last year.

Washington has since reimposed crippling unilateral sanctions on Tehran—targeting crucial parts of Iran’s economy, especially the banking and oil sectors—and launched a military buildup in the Gulf.

EA

 

.

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 47.3%
No 48.7%
No Comment 4.1%
Video
More World News Stories

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting