The death toll and new cases of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) are mounting every day surpassing its previous record. The medical science is still continuing research for vaccine.
How Long Does Corona Virus Last on Different Surfaces?
- Example: Cooking pots, cooking pans, cutlery, sinks, metal handrails, steel water bottles, keys, door knobs, door handles, refrigerators, industrial equipment, etc.
- Survival Period: 2 to 3 days. According to Lancet article, corona virus can survive up to 7 days.
- Example: Coins, teakettles, cookware, jewelry, electrical wires, etc.
- Survival Period: 4 Hours
- Example: Furniture, decking, tabletops, shelves, sport equipment, etc.
- Survival Period: 4 days
- Example: Food packaging, water bottles, milk containers, detergent bottles, subway seats, bus seats, backpacks, elevator buttons, credit cards, remote controls, video game controllers, light switches, computer keyboards, Computer mouse, ATM buttons, toys, etc.
- Survival Period: 2 to 3 days. According to Lancet article, corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) can survive up to 7 days.
- Example: Furniture, shipping boxes, food packaging, etc.
- Survival Period: 24 hours
- Examples: Food packaging, soda cans, tinfoil, water bottles, etc.
- Survival Period: 2 to 8 hours
- Examples: Drinking glasses, measuring cups, mirrors, windows, doors, walls, furniture, TV screen, computer screen, Smartphone screen, etc.
- Survival period: Up to 5 days
- Examples: Dishes, pottery, mugs, etc.
- Survival Period: 5 days
- Examples: Mail, paper money, letters, stationery, magazines, newspapers, tissues, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.
- Survival Period: 3 hours to 5 days.
- Examples: Different kind of fabrics, clothes, and linens.
- Survival Period: According to Lancet article, the new corona virus can survive up to 2 days.
Skin and hair
- Examples: Skin and Hair.
- Survival Period: No research has done yet. But Rhinoviruses – responsible for colds – can survive for hours.
How Long Corona Virus Can Survive on Different Surfaces?
When a COVID19 infected person coughs for a single time, this action can spread up to 3,000 droplets of corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) in the surrounding air. It is estimated that the airborne droplets can carry active and possibly infectious Corona Virus for about three hours. These Corona Virus droplets can be spread from one person to another if those people stay in close contact measuring less than two meters.
However, if an individual comes in contact with surfaces upon which the Corona Virus droplets have landed and haven’t been disinfected yet, then that person may get infected by COVID19. Furthermore, the droplets of corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) can also spread in the air through the actions of exhaling and speaking.
Can Temperature and Humidity Influence the Corona Virus?
The survival period of Corona Virus SARS-CoV-2 can definitely be affected by factors like temperature and humidity. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the new corona virus can survive only for a shorter period at higher temperatures and humidity levels. It is found that the new corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) remains highly active at 4°C Celsius (about 39°F). On the other hand, it becomes rapidly inactivated at 70°C (158°F).