Friday 6 December 2019 ,
Latest News
Deferment of Khaleda's bail petition hearing unprecedented: BNP | No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader | India vet rape and murder: Police shoot dead 4 suspects | Nation divided on Hyderabad encounter | Cinematographer Mahfuzur Rahman dies | Uber had 6,000 US sexual assault reports in 2 years | Modi, Pranab, Sonia likely to attend Bangabandhu’s birth centenary celebrations, says Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen |
20 November, 2019 00:00 00 AM

Print

Yemen’s Huthis seize 2 South Korean, one Saudi vessel

AFP, Seoul

Yemen’s Iran-aligned rebels seized a Saudi-flagged tug and two South Korean vessels at the weekend, the insurgents and Seoul officials said yesterday. The incident follows a lull in Huthi attacks on Saudi Arabia as one Riyadh official said the kingdom had established an “open channel” with the rebels in a bid to end the four-year conflict.

The Huthis acknowledged they had seized three ships, including a Saudi one, in the Red Sea a few miles off Uqban island, west of the rebel-held capital Sanaa. Seoul’s foreign ministry said a South Korean dredger was being towed by one Korean and one Saudi-flagged tug when they were seized by the Huthis. It added that a total of 16 crew, two of them South Korean, had been taken to the Red Sea port of Saleef, where they were being held by the rebels. “All of our citizens... are healthy and safe,” ministry officials said in a statement. “We are doing our very best for the early release of our citizens.” Seoul has sent the South Korean navy ship Cheonghae, which had been on anti-piracy standby off the coast of Oman, to waters near where the incident took place.

The Saudi-led military coalition backing Yemen’s internationally recognised government accused the rebels of “hijacking” the Rabigh-3, which a global tracking website described as a Saudi-flagged vessel. The rebels on Tuesday said the three ships were seized off Uqban island after they entered “territorial waters without prior notice”, according to a statement carried by their Al-Masirah television channel.

The ships were taken to Saleef, it added, without disclosing the nationalities or number of crew members.

The Huthi rebels have been fighting the government and its allies for more than four years in a war that has pushed the country to the brink of famine.

A year after the Huthis seized Sanaa, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and their allies intervened in the conflict in support of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Since 2015, tens of thousands of people—most of them civilians—have been killed in a conflict that has triggered what the United Nations has described as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Earlier this month, a senior Saudi official raised hopes of possible de-escalation after he said Riyadh had an “open channel” with the rebels with the goal of ending the conflict.

Comments

Poll
Today's Question »
State minister for power Nasrul Hamid yesterday said everyone to have access to electricity by June. Do you think the feat achievable by the timeframe?
 Yes
 No
 No Comment
Yes 47.3%
No 48.7%
No Comment 4.1%
Most Viewed
E-Paper

Copyright © All right reserved.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman

Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Editor : M. Shamsur Rahman
Published by the Editor on behalf of Independent Publications Limited at Media Printers, 446/H, Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1215.
Editorial, News & Commercial Offices : Beximco Media Complex, 149-150 Tejgaon I/A, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh. GPO Box No. 934, Dhaka-1000.

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
....................................................
About Us
....................................................
Contact Us
....................................................
Advertisement
....................................................
Subscription

Powered by : Frog Hosting